Saturday 30 April 2016

April Wrap Up

April was a pretty good reading month for me I managed to finish 7 books! I didn't finish anything after 14h April though and I'm currently in the midst of what feels like a pretty big book slump but I really enjoyed the majority of what I read.


The Winners Kiss (#3 The Winners Trilogy)
March 24th to April 3rd
5 Stars!
Out of all the books I finished in April this was by far my favourite. I only came across this series last year and I read the first 2 fairly quickly. I don't tend to get really excited by new book releases even if I'm a fan of the series but I could not wait to get my hands on this one and it did not disappoint me!

Lola & The Boy Next Door - Stephanie Perkins
April 3rd to April 5th
4 Stars
After finishing The Winners Kiss I couldn't really face anything I would really need to focus on as my mind was still reeling. I read Anna & The French Kiss last year and remembered it was a nice fluffy read so I picked this one up knowing it wouldn't require much thought. I must say the book did frustrate me in a lot of places but I found Lola to be a bit more of a realistic teenager and a little more relatable as a person.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - J.K Rowling
1st April to 9th April (Audible)
5 Stars.
This was a re-read for me as I made it a goal to re-read the last 4 books in the series this year. I listened to these and I thought it was a great way to quickly get through them. Stephen Fry's narration was fantastic too he gave the books so much more depth and character, he really brought it back to life!

A Man Called Ove - Fredrick Backman
7th April - 10th April (Audible)
3 Stars
This was book was only okay for me. It was charming enough and funny enough to make it enjoyable but there wasn't really anything else in it that made it anything more than that for me. I probably wouldn't read this again but after seeing a few friends reading this on Goodreads I'm quite glad I gave it a chance even if it was only to feed my curiosity.

You - Caroline Kepnes
5th April - 10th April
4 Stars
Even though this was not my favourite or least favourite book of the month it left me reeling so much it started the book slump I'm now in the midst of! I thought this book was really interesting not only because of the perspective it's written from but also because it really highlights how some people can be completely blind to their own messed up minds. I found the book a little frustrating in parts which is why it didn't get 5 stars and I thought that it dragged on a little too long with quite a few scenarios that could have been left out completely. Overall though I really liked this book and I'm still thinking about it weeks later.

A Court of Thorns and Roses - Sarah J Maas
11th to 13th April (Audible)
4 Stars
As I was in beginnings of a book slump I thought it would be best to re-read this one. I really loved this book last year and I'm glad I re-read it before the next one comes out because I really needed to re-fresh myself on what had happened. I didn't enjoy it as much as the last time I read and so I marked it down to 4 stars but it was still pretty good. I'm really looking forward to the next book though as I'm quite interested in the Hades aspect of it, probably a result of binge watching Once Upon A Time this weekend.

Siege & Storm - Leigh Bardugo
Started & Finished 4th April (Audible)
3 Stars.
I really think I'd have rated this higher if I hadn't listened to it. The narration grated on my quite a bit and I think that was a little hard to get passed at times. Overall the plot was pretty good but I have come to notice I'm falling out of love with YA fantasy a little bit as the plot lines a very predictable and this was no exception to that. I might finish the series, I haven't made my mind up yet but this didn't leave me rushing to buy the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment